top of page

Forms that need to be filled out and sent to DMV

after an accident 


Traffic Accident Report SR-1

If you are involved in a vehicle accident that occurred in California, you must report it to DMV if:

  • There was property damage of more than $750 or

  • Anyone was injured (no matter how minor) or

  • Anyone was killed.

Each driver must make a report to DMV within 10 days, whether you caused the accident or not and even if the accident occurred on private property. Mail the completed report form to the address on the form.

Uninsured Motorist Claim


If you filed an uninsured motorists claim, you need evidence that the person did not have auto insurance at the time of the collision. As stated above a driver involved in an accident that caused more than $750 worth of property damage or injured or killed any person must complete a Traffic Accident Report form (SR 1) within 10 days.


You may obtain a photocopy of the report (evidence that the person was uninsured) that the other driver submitted to DMV by completing a Financial Responsibility Information Request (SR 19C) form and mailing it to the address printed on top of the form. You may also request the other driver's insurance information and/or a certification that the other driver was not insured (Uninsured Motorist Certificate).

There is a nonrefundable fee of $20 for each type of information requested and only one subject of inquiry allowed per request. Authority to release this information can be found in Section 16005 of the California Vehicle Code.

bottom of page